0800 464 7001

Do I Need Planning Permission To Widen My Driveway?

Do I Need Planning Permission To Widen My Driveway


Driveway Planning Drawings From £249.00 INC

Price includes a full set of planning drawings together with completion of ALL council forms, submission into the council and liaising with your local authority until your plans are approved and a decision notice issued.

Do I need Planning Permission To Widen My Driveway?

Having a driveway on your property is incredibly useful, it gives you some extra space and the ideal location to park your car, taking it off of the road. 

In the most part, a driveway is going to be exactly the right size for your car. However, from time to time, you may find that your driveway is not quite wide enough, and you need to make a change.

There is a variety of work that you can undertake in your garden and outside space and one common project is to widen a driveway. So, how do you widen your driveway and do you need to ensure that you apply for planning permission before you do this?

Widening your driveway

One of the first things that you need to do is to think about the size that you need your driveway to be. You are going to want to make sure that you have enough space, after all, this is the reason that you are doing the work in the first place.

Then you need to think about making sure that you still have easy access to your front door and that you are not going to lose too much of your garden space. Whilst a wider driveway can be a selling point for a property, a lack of garden can be a negative to many people.

The most common way to widen your driveway is to simply add on an additional piece of driveway to one side. This will need to be made using the same materials, allowing you to then park your car on it. However, you can, if space allows, widen it on both sides. Or, you could, if you prefer, curve it around which allows your driveway to really work with your garden.

Another important consideration when it comes to widening your driveway is what materials you use. You are going to want to make sure that your new expanded driveway, at least in some part, looks like the existing driveway that you have.

Do I need Planning Permission for a Dropped Kerb?

In the most part, a drive widening projectin itself will not require planning permission.

However if the widening project involves demolishing part or even all of a boundary fence or wall fronting a highway then this will generally require planning permission.

Whether or not yuu require a dropped kerb / crossover to access your driveway will also determine whether or not you require planning permission 

Planning permission is generally required to create a crossover / dropped kerb in all of the following instances:

  1. The crossover is to be on a classified / tiered or trunk road (this relates to most roads located in the UK)
  2. The crossover is to a commercial property
  3. The crossover is to a property that is a maisonette or divided into flats
  4. The crossover is to a listed building
  5. The crossover is in a conservation area, which is covered by Article 4 Direction requiring planning permission for hard surfacing;
  6. The access is likely to affect a tree, which is protected by a Tree Preservation Order.
Another consideration that has a large effect on planning permission is the material that you use to construct your new drive way.

Those who are planning on using a porous material to build their driveway extension can do so within their permitted development rights and therefore provided you already have a crossover/dropped kerb in place you will not require planning permission for your driveway. 

These materials allow for the water to drain through during those periods of rain. The most common of the materials has to be gravel, however there is also the option for permeable concrete blocks or even porous asphalt. Not only this, but you can also make sure that you fit within the permitted development rules, if you can direct any rainwater that does fall onto your driveway onto your lawn, or into a border, which will allow it to drain naturally.

The size and location of your vehicle crossover is also something that needs to be taken into consideration.  Generally the Council will only allow one crossover per property unless it is to create a carraige style driveway or an ‘in/out’ drive.

The maximum width of the crossover should not exceed 4.2m.  

The minimum distance between two crossovers is generally 2.4 metres so as to limit any adverse impact on pedestrians using the pavement and to minimise the loss of kerb side parking.

You are also going to need to consider aspects such as whether you are located in a conservation area, which will impact the work that you can have carried out on our house. 

As well as whether or not you need a dropped kerb. If you do need a dropped kerb in order to use your driveway, then you need to ensure that you contact your local council. They will be able to advise on this process and whether or not the pavement is going to need to be strengthened in order to do this. This is to ensure that you protect any services that may be found below the ground, such as water pipes.

If you are worried that you don’t know whether or not your driveway changes are within permitted development, then speak to us. We are experts in a wide range of planning permission related enquiries and can help to ensure that your property is properly covered within the regulations in your area.

Not only this, but we can also work with you those early days, in the planning stage, to help you to ascertain whether or not what you want is actually possible and the best ways to go about making the changes to your property.

How Do I Apply For Planning Permission For A Driveway?

In order to apply for planning permission for your new driveway you will need a scaled location plan showing your existing property together with the properties located directly around youi 1:1250 scale.

You will also need to show a proposed site plan.  This needs to include the location and size of the crossover together with the number off offstreet parking spaces being created.

The drawings will also need to include details of driveway materials.  If non pourous materials are being proposed (i.e. concrete or non-pourous blockwork) then details of how you propose to deal with surface water will need to be shown (soakway etc.)

The site plan will also need to include any trees, lamposts or other street furniture that may be affected by the works.

Lastly, if the proposals include demolishing part or all of a boundary wall fronting the highway then an existing and proposed front elevation will be required.

Fixed Price Architecture Limited

282 Leigh Road
Leigh on Sea

0800 464 7001


Copyright Fixed Price Architecture Limited 2020